For Anderson's 2nd Birthday we decided on a tool/handyman theme. Bri and I have been on a little home improvement kick around the house and Anderson loves taking the hammer and using is it; he also knows exactly what to do with a wrench. As an added bonus he really digs watching some Handy Manny every now and then.
Since our house is in a perfect location for a party - hello, park - and we have a 12' trampoline it's only natural that his birthday parties will be held here until further notice. One of the best parts of having a child is planning and creating a birthday party. It's a bit ironic since I personally do not like parties for my birthday and this started even before that fateful day.
 |
| Invites I printed on #10 card stock |
 |
| Finished product - hand cut |
Instead of goodie bags I made goodie toolbelts! It is really easy and cheap!
 |
| Toolbelt from Oriental Trading Co ($14.99/dozen) |
 |
| Felt/Stencil/Yarn ($5 total from Michaels) |
 |
| Cut a square and sew over the "Handy Dad" label |
 |
Cut letter out of felt and glue to square. Ta da!
(Approx $1.65 per toolbelt!) |
For less than $2 I have a great "goodie bag" that can be used over and over again for some creative play. Now, I could have stopped here but I wanted some additional goodies for the kiddos to have. Inside the pockets I've included tool shaped bubble sets ($5.99/dozen), an activity pad ($5/dozen), homemade tool crayons and a party toy ($2/dozen)
 |
| Crayons from ebay ($10) |
 |
| Tool Chocolate Mold from Amazon ($2) |
 |
| Melting down the crayons |
 |
| Pouring the melted crayon into the mold |
 |
Finished! We made 6 tools in 8 colors.
|
The crayons were inserted into a colorful bag and then all the goodies were placed in the tool belt. Here are the finished products!
 |
| Tool belts for all the kids! |
Keeping with the theme I made some tool shaped chocolates to put on top of the cupcakes we were going to serve. The chocolate molds were $2 on amazon and the candies were the one's Michael's sells. Michael's always has a 30-40% off coupon via email so sign up and go multiple times if need be. One of my work locations is less than a mile, so I made frequent lunch time trips to maximize savings. I melted and dyed the white candies and painted them in the molds. Once it cooled I poured the chocolate candy over it. Easy peasy, just a bit time consuming.
 |
| FInished cupcakes with chocolate topper |
I finished the theme off with some tool shaped sugar cookies, stuffed in Anderson's toy tool box and some construction hats. Add a few colorful table clothes, balloons and some amazing weather and it was a recipe for success. We enjoyed everyone's company and most important of all Anderson had a great party.
 |
Dad surprised us with a great chalkboard drawing!
(yes, that's a door) |
The party was such a success we took 3 pictures once it started. Hopefully Nan and Poa Poa will share theirs!
 |
| Happy (almost) Birthday, Anderson! |
2 comments:
I'm really impressed by the homemade crayons and cupcake toppers!
I love this party! Great ideas, thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment