So we're in the thick of it. Bri and I are using a the "3-day potty training method" but I have taken the full week of work off, as the challenge of Anderson not being too vocal leads to mostly parent-led bathroom trips. I want to get it down pat before I put him back in daycare, because to be honest, we're not going to get much support on that front.
How are we doing? Not too bad. We've gone through many pairs of underwear, as they get the tell-tale dampness before he figures out he has to go, but not once have I had to clean the floor up today, nor did we go through any sheets at naptime. Yesterday we went through two sets of sheets, and 1 pillow in efforts to nap without undies. Tonight is our first venture into bedtime without a diaper. In fact Anderson has not seen a diaper since we took it off of him this morning.
It exhausting - all we think about is pee and poop. I have to step back and remind myself how far we have come even since Friday as it's slow moving to the target. On Friday Anderson would "pee" in his potty right before bedtime. I say "pee" because it was more like a drop. Enough to get us excited and praise him but he did not empty his bladder at all. Well we stopped praising him on the little ones and just kept placing him back on the potty even has he screamed in protest. It seems to have worked. Today he's filled the bowl each and every time - which is A LOT because part of this method is too fill your child with non-stop liquids. This helps you able to catch him in the act as much as possible. Again, exhausting. However, we took a break last night and saw Harry Potter. It was our little reward.
Speaking of rewards, A really really wants a bike. So we got a piece of poster board, drew a terrible rendition of a road complete with a bike at the finish line and use this as his incentive. We repeat no less than 50 times a day - pee pee and poop go in the potty. If Anderson does all of his pee and poo in the potty he gets a bike. So each time we get a potty full of either A gets to place a sticker on the road. The red balance bike is on order and arrives later this week. I have a good feeling he might make it to the end of the road by Sunday. If not, the long term goal is the day after Labor Day. I'm not going to jump the gun earlier than necessary. It's an uphill challenge. I'm so proud of our little guy already.
No comments:
Post a Comment