February 23, 2010

Happiness in a Jar

Bri and I like to believe we are cultured people. We enjoy traveling and experiencing different foods. Personally, when I think comfort food I think of a hot plate of Chicken Vindaloo over rice. Bri might think Panang Beef from Thai II. As our solid food journey with Anderson continues we've found ourselves asking, when can we introduce cinnamon, curry, how about cumin etc...? Well I've been consulting my favorite baby food website: www.wholesomebabyfoods.com and adding in what I have on hand. Anderson doesn't seem to have any food allergies so far (*Knocks on wood*). Lately you can tell A prefers finger food over purees so we're trying to find a balance. This is proving hard to introduce some foods because I'm just a bit hesitant to give my 10 month old a little cut of spicy vindaloo off my plate.


Well I've hit the holy grail of baby food at my local Whole Foods Market! I've been making most of A's food from scratch, save for the WM Yogurt and Oatmeal. Occasionally for convenience we use Earth's Best Stage 3 dinners and even they were starting to seem limiting in their flavors. For some reason I decided to see if WF carried jarred baby food and guess what- they do. Not sure why it was a surprise to me. They carry the Earth's Best and to my surprise much more variety than I have seen before. I was ecstatic to see they had some asparagus - A loves this but its really hard to find a nice looking bunch this time of year. When I do find one I steam and feed it to him so this was great to see in a jar. As I was stocking my cart with new EB flavors (who doesn't like a short cut for dinner now and then, right?) a jar caught my eye. Could it be? No way. Yes! My eyes did not deceive me, right there was a jar of baby Dal. I look around and I see not just Dal, but Thai, Japanese, Eastern European and Polynesian. I grabbed up some Dal, Thai and Polynesian to start. I can't wait to go back and try the rest. Last night Bri fed Anderson the Dal to great success. He loved it! It smelled just like the Dal you would order in and Indian restaurant - lentils, cumin, yum! Even better news - it's all organic. I did a google search and it looks like it may be only available in No. Cal and the Pacific Northwest in stores, but you can order from Amazon if interested.

Check 'em out!
http://www.worldbabyfoods.com/

No comments: